Tuesday, December 2, 2008

December 2nd

Well, first thing this morning I had to call the doctor to make an appointment. Chase just isn't getting better and is having to many asthma attacks. And even with the breathing treatments (Xopenex) I can't get it under control.
After making the appt. we went back to sleep til about 10 b/c we had been up since 4 a.m. We got up and got ready and my Mom came by to visit for a bit. Then I was on the phone with my insurance guy for about an hour trying to get some better health ins. My roofer was supposed to be here at 1 and never showed up or answered my calls, great, just great. I don't know what's up with that. By the time I was done with everything I needed to do it was almost time to take Chase to the doctor! We didn't get any school work done today or any Christmas activities :/
We got to the doc and of course had to wait. We brought the doc some of the Christmas cookies we made and a thank you card for being such a great doctor. He really is the best. He gave us some samples of the meds we needed, thank goodness and all I had to buy was his antibiotic. So it wasn't too bad and didn't break the bank! He's got what he gets every year...Mycoplasma Pneumonia. He used to have to be admitted to the hospital when he was younger but know we are able to care for him at home with Zithromax, Orapred, Xopenex and Pulmicort. He should be feeling better by tomorrow.
I also got a chance to talk to his doc about a study they are doing at the NIH (National Institutes of Health). The case manager has asked if we'd like to do a blood test to check for the STAT 3 gene mutation to see if Chase has Hyper IgE/Job's syndrome. She said she'd send me some dates and the info to our doctor so they can do the blood work and ship it off overnight. Best part about that is that the NIH pays for all of it! She said it would take about 2 to 3 months to get the results back and if his test comes back positive for the STAT 3 mutation he'll be accepted into the study in late March/ early April. Maybe then we'll be able to find some answers as to why his IgE (allergy response in the body) is so unbelievably high, and why his asthma and eczema are so bad. Chase won't be happy about having blood drawn but he'll get through it.
Ok, I have to get some sleep! Be back tomorrow night with hopefully my Christmas plan written out!
~Goodnight

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go through with the test?